Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Dang Jerry Reed Died

  1. #1
    Inactive Member MikeJones's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 8th, 2007
    Posts
    3,888
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Dang Jerry Reed Died

    By JOHN GEROME, Associated Press Writer
    1 hour, 20 minutes ago



    NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Jerry Reed, a singer who became a good ol' boy actor in car chase movies like "Smokey and the Bandit," has died of complications from emphysema at 71.

    ADVERTISEMENT

    His longtime booking agent, Carrie Moore-Reed, no relation to the star, said Reed died early Monday.

    "He's one of the greatest entertainers in the world. That's the way I feel about him," Moore-Reed said.

    Sony BMG Nashville Chairman Joe Galante called Reed a larger-than-life personality.

    "Everything about Jerry was distinctive: his guitar playing, writing, voice and especially his sense of humor," Galante said. "I was honored to have worked with him."

    Reed's catalog of country chart hits, from 1967 through 1983, were released under the label group's RCA imprint.

    As a singer in the 1970s and early 1980s, Reed had a string of hits that included "Amos Moses," "When You're Hot, You're Hot," "East Bound and Down," "She Got the Goldmine (I Got the Shaft)" and "The Bird."

    In the mid-1970s, he began acting in movies such as "Smokey and the Bandit" with Burt Reynolds, usually as a good ol' boy. But he was an ornery heavy in "Gator," directed by Reynolds, and a hateful coach in 1998's "The Waterboy," starring Adam Sandler.

    Reynolds gave him a shiny black 1980 Trans Am like the one they used in "Smokey and the Bandit."

    Reed and Kris Kristofferson paved the way for Nashville music personalities to make inroads into films. Dolly Parton, Willie Nelson and Kenny Rogers (TV movies) followed their lead.

    "I went around the corner to motion pictures," he said in a 1992 AP interview.

    Reed had quadruple bypass surgery in June 1999.

    Born in Atlanta, Reed learned to play guitar at age 8 when his mother bought him a $2 guitar and showed him how to play a G-chord.

    He dropped out of high school to tour with Ernest Tubb and Faron Young.

    At 17, he signed his first recording contract, with Capitol Records.

    He moved to Nashville in the mid-1960s where he caught the eye of Chet Atkins.

    He first established himself as a songwriter. Elvis Presley recorded two of his songs, "U.S. Male" and "Guitar Man" (both in 1968). He also wrote the hit "A Thing Called Love," which was recorded in 1972 by Johnny Cash. He also wrote songs for Brenda Lee, Tom Jones, Dean Martin, Nat King Cole and the Oak Ridge Boys.

    Reed was voted instrumentalist of the year in 1970 by the Country Music Association.

    He won a Grammy Award for "When You're Hot, You're Hot" in 1971. A year earlier, he shared a Grammy with Chet Atkins for their collaboration, "Me and Jerry." In 1992, Atkins and Reed won a Grammy for "Sneakin' Around."

    Singer-guitarist Brad Paisley said Reed was one of country music's most influential players.

    "Anyone who picks a country guitar knows of his mastery of the instrument "? one of the most inspirational stylists in the history of country music, a complete master," Paisley said. "I'm in debt to him for paving the way for myself and the other guitarists of today."

    Reed continued performing on the road into the late 1990s, doing about 80 shows a year.

    "I'm proud of the songs, I'm proud of things that I did with Chet (Atkins), I'm proud that I played guitar and was accepted by musicians and guitar players," he told the AP in 1992.

    In a 1998 interview with The Tennessean, he admitted that his acting ability was questionable.

    "I used to watch people like Richard Burton and Mel Gibson and think, `I could never do that.'

    "When people ask me what my motivation is, I have a simple answer: money."

    ___
    GO VOLS

  2. #2
    The_Sage
    Guest The_Sage's Avatar

    Re: Dang Jerry Reed Died

    I hate that also,,, i saw him in concert some years back,, he was a great entertainer.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member starbuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 20th, 2004
    Posts
    5,852
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Dang Jerry Reed Died

    east bound and down forever
    [IMG]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg[/IMG] [URL="http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg"] [/URL]

  4. #4
    Inactive Member MikeJones's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 8th, 2007
    Posts
    3,888
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Dang Jerry Reed Died

    loaded up truckin were gonna do what they say cant be done
    GO VOLS

  5. #5
    HB Forum Owner SBG's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 18th, 2004
    Posts
    2,279
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Dang Jerry Reed Died

    we got a long way to go and a short time to get there
    [LEFT][IMG]http://www.dsslexius.net/forums/images/smilies/goneinsanegif.gif[/IMG][/LEFT]

  6. #6
    Inactive Member TheBeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 24th, 2004
    Posts
    4,351
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Dang Jerry Reed Died

    I'm east bound just watch ole Bandit run

    R.I.P.
    [COLOR="Lime"][SIZE="6"][FONT="Century Gothic"]CREAG AN TUIRC[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
    [img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a183/mm38nut/thkfc.gif[/img]

  7. #7
    Inactive Member sup-rbeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 27th, 2006
    Posts
    8,846
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Dang Jerry Reed Died

    Anybody remember the Westomoreland Miner's picnic circa 1987??..Jerry Reed was the scheduled entertainer. He shows up at Bullitt Park wasted. He falls coming out of his trailer but dusts himself off and staggers on stage. Plays 2 songs, falls again and then leaves...lol. Classic!!
    ...And if you ain't down with that, I got 2 words for ya....

  8. #8
    Guest 's Avatar

    Re: Dang Jerry Reed Died

    Stone Gap Virginia!!! Didn't even bother to know where he was. Yep, he was pretty talented, but he was to start MUCH earlier than he did and we had 2 or 3 older folks that waited for hours in the sun on Bullitt Park's bleachers in July , had to be helped from the place while he sat in his A/C. Lost what I had for him there. 10,000 bucks for something like 4 or 5 songs.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member imported_Sportsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 22nd, 2002
    Posts
    1,486
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Dang Jerry Reed Died

    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MikeJones</div><div class="ubbcode-body">loaded up truckin were gonna do what they say cant be done </div></div>

    exactly!!

    Smokey and the Bandit may be my favorite movie of all time.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member MikeJones's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 8th, 2007
    Posts
    3,888
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Dang Jerry Reed Died

    yep the snowman is gone.
    GO VOLS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •